Sky Satellite TV Service Collections

We used to subscribe to Sky for satellite TV services. A couple of years ago, we switched to Cablemas. We paid off our Sky bill, but they started hounding us on the phone for payment. We referred them to the invoice numbers, records, etc. for the payments, so then they said we still had their box, which was true. We asked them to come and get it, which they did. The person who picked it up looked at our invoice, verified with his billing office, and signed PAID IN FULL with his name and the date.

We continue to get the most unbeleivably rude calls from Sky’s collection agency. This occurs in cycles, and when we eventually clear it up, they apologize and go away. But a few months later, they are back, even ruder than before.

The other night a woman called asking for Jim. I asked who was calling and she said, “You know who this is. Put him on the phone.” I took a hard look at the receiver, not sure it was operating correctly, and said no. She said, “You have to put him on the phone.” I hung up.

The creepy stalker lady called over and over and over again. I told her to stop calling and she said, “I’ll never stop calling you.” A Spanish-speaking friend of ours who was at the house told her to go to hell. Then I took the phone off the hook.

The cycle before this, the bill collector threatened to come to the house to collect. I encouraged him to do so, and said he would meet the police here.

This outrageous stuff is especially amazing in a country that is generally so polite. There is no attempt to actually find out what the problem is, or ask whether it has been taken care of. Just an onslaught of insults and threats. I can’t believe this method is ever successful with anyone.

Even if we had problems with Cablemas, which we don’t, there is no way we would ever again deal with Sky under any circumstances. Sky should realize that this kind of bad behavior reflects on them and affects their image.

In all fairness, the Sky company representative who came to collect the box was totally professional and apologetic, but as he explained, they farm out the collection jobs to other companies. He promised that it wouldn’t happen again, but we have gone through several more cycles now.

We recently bought an answering machine. Remember those? A great invention.

This entry was posted in Merida Expat Life, Writing Projects and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Sky Satellite TV Service Collections

1. kwallek says:

Sky=Rupert Murdock, you are caught up in the net of one of the biggest right wing nuts on the planet.

2. Rainie says:

We had the same thing happen to us when we switched from Sky to Cablemas. We were current with our bill when we cancelled and had met the two year requirement, yet received an intention to sue letter. We had an assertive Mexican friend call for us and she found that the main office in Mexico City was 6 months to a year behind in processing the cancelation notices. Hence they had no idea that we cancelled. Seems the collection office runs more smoothly than the litigation department.
    Rainie

3. Dulce Firth says:

It is true!!!, and when you sign a contract is at least for a year with NO choice….
    We too, change to cablemas for telephone and internet, they have good packets.

4. sam razzaque says:

same scenario, except I used my credit card from citibank in usa. damn citicard still haunting me

5. Leila says:

Creepy.

6. Millie Katz says:

Beryl – I presume that these people are calling from the U.S. I had a problem with a collection agency looking for a Michael Katz. They hounded me for months and I finally threatened them with a harassment complaint. They went away for a year and then returned. I told the phoner if I received another call I would report them to the Attorney General. So far, silence. Don’t know how you handle this from a foreign country. Rotsa ruck. M

7. bokajo says:

I had numerous problems with Direct TV. They cancelled my service without reason, then came after me for all kinds of money, which I did not owe them. I had to cancel my credit card, they threated to grab a whole year’s fee from that. I finally took them to Consumedor, went to the hearing, they were not there, and they got fined. Apparently, they had plenty of fines at Consumedor, and nothing was done there either. But at least, they did not bother me anymore