Three photogenic events, July 25-26

Turtle in our garden

Turtle in our garden

Turtle treat

Turtle treat

This box turtle has lived in our garden for nearly twenty years. He emerges only in the rainy season. This morning, he graced us with an appearance.

Patty’s Birthday

Once a month, Remixto and MexicaChica put on a decorous brunch at Roger Lynn’s gracious¬†Casa Mexilio, one of the oldest privately owned hotels in Merida. The courtyard here is especially lovely and I enjoyed leaves falling into my food. (No, really, I did.) There were six of us at our table to celebrate Patty B’s birthday, and other tables were grouped under trees and among flowering plants. The food was first-rate and presented beautifully. I would have taken more pictures of it, but it was hard to hold back. Remixto and MexicaChica are the two new companies that put on that dynamite cooking class I took a couple of months ago.

No ordinary chilaquiles

No ordinary chilaquiles

Lechon Benedict - an inspired idea

Lechon Benedict - an inspired idea

Another Car Crash on Our Corner

Today I was sitting at my computer all the way in back of the house, when I heard the unfortunately familiar sound – the screech of brakes, and then the impact. This happens regularly on our corner despite the traffic light (downtown, Calle 58 and Calle 51). I am am always impressed with how rapidly the emergency teams respond and how efficient they are.

Today it was a pickup truck and a car. It was hard to tell who had run the light. One man, who had been sitting in the back of the pickup on a propane tank, was injured. The paramedics came within a few minutes, followed by an ambulance. They removed him immediately, put him on a stretcher into the ambulance, and were off to the hospital. Then the bomberos, the fire department, responded because of the propane tank. After careful examination, they decided it was intact and safe. There were lots of police cars and other unidentified officials. Several newspapers were there. Here are some pics.

A few minutes after impact

A few minutes after impact

Injured man on stretcher

Injured man on stretcher

Paramedic

Paramedic

L1050348

Examining the propane tank in the truck

Examining the propane tank in the truck

Bombero

Bombero

L1050371

Fire truck

Fire truck

All together, there were eight marked municipal police cars, one small police truck, an ambulance, two paramedic motor bikes, two fire trucks, and about 50 personnel.

This entry was posted in Merida Expat Life, Writing Projects. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Three photogenic events, July 25-26

1. Dulce Firth says:

Great reporte you are!!!!!

2. suk says:

BG, Walter & I had a tortuga in our house for 5 yrs. Walter loves her, we found out she was her bc she laid 2 beautiful eggs last yrs. Y know we are not permenently living in merida so we had a house care taker & pool man. Walter was main concerning was his tortuga so he fixed best turkey & cheese daily portion for our care taker to feed her but who know we were not there but she was his love of life. Last year we decided to ask young hee can have her, the angel, she took her & sent us her pictures. So today, I just open your blogs & saw your tortuga, I thought it was from young hee & it was hers& I was so exciting so I sent her email about your blog. If your is male is it possible can we have a baby when our tortuga laid eggs. But her eggs was a beautiful I am not sure I have a pictures for that anyway, anyway I was so happy we have a common tresures.

3. suk says:

Well, BG, living in Houston, it is worse than merida & any other states about car accidents so our car insurances is very high of course we got Lincoln town car. We never have a accident even when we had lived in Germany, frakfurt. Guess what I had already 2 accident within 2 yrs in Houston, tx god all of their faults, they had pay us fix my lincoln $20,000 us , I could buy bland new honda or something also towing & ER visiting, renting car, paramedic, fire car, police cars. It was very quite Saturday morning I just got off from hospital, the guy drove so fast in resident area, my car behinds was ford explore damn big car hit my rear. I was so shock the guy in honda civic did not die with that speed . I was so piss off that driver , I told him what the fuck are u doing 8 am in the Saturday morning no traffic, u almost kill 3 peoples , yourself & car behind me also nurse working same hospital with me , & my love Lincoln . Nurse behind me got a ticket bc she did not have a driver license with her bc she left at home. I hate to drive in Texas. It is real wild west. I miss Virginia . So do not get mad, merida is not real bad maybe languges problems for me if I am in that situation but I have hire lawer for that but I don’t mind drive in merida but Houston, forget it. So I only drive to work & neccecity shopping & meetings.

4. Leila says:

Does the tortuga have a name? May I suggest Victor?

5. suk says:

Leila, young hee tortugar, Walter & I always called her tortugar. She is female but y can suggest Bg victor, I had a bad architect name was vitor so I do not like it at all. But it is up to BG. SB

We just call the turtle, Turtle. Don’t know whether s/he is a male or female. It’s always wonderful to see the creature after nearly a year of no sightings. I don’t know how s/he manages to find enough food – I guess they eat leaves.
    Beryl

7. Hugo De Naranja says:

As a devoted reader of both “Por Esto” and “De Peso,” I’m constantly amazed by the great many car accidents in Merida, and throughout the peninsula, that seem to defy the laws of physics.

I remember, for example, a daytime accident several months ago on the Paseo de Montejo.

A sedan traveling south somehow managed — in the MIDDLE of the block — to make a 45-degree turn, drive up an over the median, across the lanes of northbound traffic, and onto the sidewalk.

How is this possible? How?