2012: Cataclysmic Magnetic Pole Shift

www.yucatan-yenta.com

More and more people are moving to Yucatan or renting houses, so they can be in the land of the Maya for 12/21/2012. Although a number of people of wisdom from ancient cultures (including the Hopi) “predicted” a huge event on that date , the Maya calendar data is perhaps the most intriguing because the date is actually the end of the long-count Maya calendar, a period of over 5,000 years.

Local Maya elders have been interviewed here and most say that 12/21/2012 simply marks a day of renewal. In the El Diario the other day, there was an interview with one of the council of elders, a group of 144 men from all the Maya groups, and he said that no Mayas have interpreted the calendar or the texts that accompany it to mean that anything dire is going to happen.

Many modern theorists say with great alarm that the magnetic poles are shifting, which will cause unheard of havoc. They are predicting this catastrophe for  12/21/2012. Now this is something to think about

New age groups are pointing out that the magnetic field of the earth is losing strength and becoming disorganized, according to actual scientists. I have no idea what this implies, but people who love to be terrified are saying that the magnetic poles of the earth are set to reverse, which could result in the end of the world. And they’ve tied this awful prediction to the Maya, who are probably much amused.

Compass needles in Africa, for instance, are drifting about 1 degree per decade. And globally the magnetic field has weakened 10% since the 19th century. When this was mentioned by researchers at a recent meeting of the American Geophysical Union, many newspapers carried the story. A typical headline: “Is Earth’s magnetic field collapsing?” This is from NASA, in 2003.

Also from NASA,

Sometimes the field completely flips. The north and the south poles swap places. Such reversals, recorded in the magnetism of ancient rocks, are unpredictable. They come at irregular intervals averaging about 300,000 years; the last one was 780,000 years ago. Are we overdue for another? No one knows.

Changes in the locations of the magnetic poles result in a change in the angle of the earth’s axis. Who knows where we could wind up?

The inner core of the earth is a solid iron ball, which spins at its own rate, faster than the earth. It’s as hot as the sun and 70 % as wide as the moon. The outer perimeter of the iron ball is liquid, and the molten iron sloshes around with the rotation of the body of the core. The sloshing is unpredictable and sometimes generates “hurricanes” which have effects on our own atmosphere.

Because of all this sloshing, the difference in rotation speeds, etc. the magnetic poles of the earth wax, wane, and ocasionally trade places. The north pole and south pole are always moving around anyway, and sometimes they take up residency somewhere else. Who knows, perhaps on 12/21/2012 we’ll see the aurora borealis (northern lights) above Chichen Itza.

Now I personally find this disturbing. Beneath us is this wildly spinning massive ball of iron with an unpredictable path and bad moods. That is completely out of my control, no matter how hard I try. Someone needs to make a TV series about it – this would way outdo Lost or FlashForward.

Some scientists theorize that polar shift can be affected by masses of ice, and changes in the water levels of the earth. If this is true, global warming may cause us to spin off our axis!

The truth is that pole reversals take thousands of years to complete, but maybe 12/21/2012 will be the day! Spiritual forecasters tell us that on this date, the earth, the moon, and the Milky Way will line up in a unique way that can have effects ranging from tsunamis and volcanoes to magical peace on earth, something like a giant toke of marijuana. Maybe that’s why everyone’s coming here.

And coming here they are. Theorists as far back as the 1800s have postulated enormous change based on their interpretations of Maya prophecy.

From Wikipedia:

In 1948, Hugh Auchincloss Brown, an electrical engineer, advanced a hypothesis of catastrophic pole shift. Brown also argued that accumulation of ice at the poles caused recurring tipping of the axis, identifying cycles of approximately seven millennia.

And the library of such theories is growing by leaps and bounds, especially in the last twenty years.

Since all this is quite scary, you have several basic choices of how to react to it.

• Ignore it
  • Get scared and build an underground bunker
  • Plan to leave the earth by spaceship
  • Accept your fate with awe, grace, and a lot of music

Pole shift, or magnetic reversal (I’m not sure what the difference is) is just one of the many prospects that await us in two and a half years.

Here is an excerpt from one of my favorite doomsdayers, Patrick Geryl, a Dutchman who has written nine books on the calamity of magnetic shift. He believes the Maya prophecies indicate the date we are all awaiting.

I have explained abundantly clearly that life after a polar reversal is nothing but horror, pure unimaginable horror. All securities you presently have at hand, like – amongst others – food, transport, and medicines, will have disappeared in one big blow, dissolved into nothingness. As will our complete civilization. It cannot be more horrifying than this; worse than the worst nightmare. More destructive than a nuclear war in which the entire global arsenal of nuclear weapons has been deployed in one blow. Are you grasping the facts?

The earth will be subjected to total destruction. It will be many times worse than my description. Terrible hunger, cold and pain, and more will rule your daily life: without hope of a quick recovery, because all knowledge and resources will have been completely destroyed. That will be the reality of your daily life after the forthcoming polar reversal. And it is in this scenario you will have to try to survive.

Mr. Geryl has chosen the survivalist route and his website details some actually very interesting ways to survive the cataclysm. If nothing else, this stuff is fascinating.

Don’t forget to check out my novel, 2012: Deadly Awakening, available now as an eBook on Amazon and B&N and soon to be available as a print book on Amazon. Go to Amazon and enter my name, Beryl Gorbman, in the search box.

This entry was posted in December 21, 2012 - End of the world?, Merida Expat Life and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to 2012: Cataclysmic Magnetic Pole Shift

1. millie katz says:

Mr. Beryl need a BIG bottle of aspirin. I hate these gloom and doom predictors as much as I hate those dancing around with daisies saying it’ll be glorious. At my advanced age, I hope I’m still around when whatever it is happens – always open to big events.

2. Rainie says:

Beryl
    You mentioned someone should write a TV series about this. Duh…how about another book by BG? I saw that SOHO press is looking for new author mysteries set in foreign lands.
    Rainie

3. jillian says:

“accept your fate with awe, grace, and a lot of music” is my new maxim for living. thanks, beryl!

4. mcm says:

The fossil record shows no correlation between magnetic reversals and mass extinction and/or climate change. Not to say that there is no effect on the biota, but it’s likely that the catastrophic scenarios proposed would leave SOME indication in the fossil or sedimentological record — which they don’t. But, it does make an exciting story, and something to worry about, if you enjoy that.

5. Hugo De Naranja says:

This is all rather unremarkable to those of us who’ve long been fans of Coki Navarro, a Yucatecan author who was a visionary trailblazer in Maya-inspired apocalypse scenarios, as was breathtakingly demonstrated in his hair-raising 1978 masterwork, “ASTONISHING MAYAN PREDICTIONS: THE LAST YEARS OF LIFE ON EARTH.”

Now, yes, of course, there are those close-minded skeptics of the sarcastic sort who made much hay out of the fact that Navarro’s prediction of the world’s starting to perish in unspeakable violence precisely at noon on March 21, 1983, was somewhat off the mark.

But skeptics, particularly sarcastic ones, will scoff at just about anything, and are always all too ready to confound the lyrics for the melody.

Anyone with eyes to see will understand that when you’re working with highly complex astronomical equations transmitted, according to Navarro, first by Tibetan monks to Egyptian pharaohs, and then from Egyptian pharaohs to Mayan astronomers, and then from Mayan astronomers via some as yet unexplained mystical process to Navarro himself, you’re bound to transpose a digit or two, or garble a few minor details.

Does it seriously undermine Navarro’s credibility that, on March 21, 1985, millions of birds from all over the world failed to converge on Polynesia only to be slaughtered by the enraged inhabitants of those fair isles, or that, shortly thereafter, China was not in fact bombarded by hundreds of thousands of deadly flaming meteorites entering earth’s atmosphere at ten times the speed of normal garden-variety meteorites?

Such glitches — I refuse to call them outright “mistakes” or “errors” — are of consequence only to purse-lipped fuss-budgets, to the sour little people who appear to march around the world brandishing a feather duster and with their faces perpetually twisted in an expression of scalding disapproval.

But people with a poetic, expansive feel for life and human possibility, people with a genuine, joyful sense of wonder, will understand as a matter of reflex that Coki Navarro is absolutely correct in a million ways other than the merely literal.

I, for one, look forward to the day when vile poisonous gasses produced by millions of rotting bird corpses in Polynesia drift across the Pacific Ocean and kill just about every man, woman, and child on the west coast of Latin America, and humanity is at long last forced to its knees in poignant universal contrition and confesses aloud in terrible grief-stricken and tearful unison that Coki Navarro was not as crazy as a shit-house rat.

When that glorious day finally comes, I’ll slap my chubby thighs and double over in laughter.

Oh my god, Hugo, what a masterpiece. I am your humble follower.
    I’ve been trying to think of Coki’s name for YEARS and got him mixed up with Jose Diaz Bolio, an idiotic error, I know.
    I read that 1978 jewel by Navarro in the early 80s, just before I came down here for the first time. I remember distinctly how he described portents of the end of the world. One of the things we would see (I waited) was that the colors would change. There would be new colors, colors we’d never seen before. I LOVED that book and carried it around with me when I came here. I loved the pleasantly creepy feeling it gave me and in those days, before the glyphs were interpreted, no one knew jack shit about any of these ruins, so anything could have been true. I’d love to have a copy of that book.
    I bellieve that in addition to being a great theorist, Coki was a lounge lizard piano player. Or was that JD Bolio?

And MCM – the newspaper is commonly called El Diario de Yucatan. Or fondly, “Yuca.”
    Even though the masthead says Diario de Yucatan.

8. SharonC says:

Don’t know what the person was talking about regards newspaper, but it is EL DIARIO DE YUCATAN

/El Diario de Yucatán/ ofrece las noticias del periódico diario, gran información turística e información arqueológica.
    www.*yucatan*.com.mx/ -

9. Kinbote says:

The last time I landed at Cancun, I got on the ADO bus bound for the central bus station and took my seat. While in the US, I’d lost whatever tolerance for the heat I’d developed, and I was so relieved to be on the air-conditioned bus.

My relief was short-lived.

Usually I pass the time by chatting with whomever I’m seated next to. This time around that person was a gravelly-voiced Gringo man with long, greasy gray hair, dressed from head to toe in Army surplus fatigues and shiny black combat boots.

He would have looked like a nutjob even in a cooler climate.

He leaned in very close to my face and said, “Another American, eh? Well, I’m not here for the beach. Hehehe…”

I smiled politely and turned toward the window. Why, God, couldn’t I have been seated next to one of the Evangelical missionaries boarding the bus?

We went our separate ways when I transferred to the bus to Merida. I spent the 240-minute bus ride in the bathroom. While the other passengers banged on the door, I was entertaining worst-case scenarios about the influx of characters like my bus buddy flocking to Yucatan in anticipation of the apocalypse.

Ask any of my friends about the times they watched me laugh until I gagged while reading travel blogs of the sort of New Agey Gringos who hire Mayan “priest” guides to spoon-feed them their own goofy wish fulfillment. I have on good authority that 99% of what passes in these parts as Mayan “spiritual wisdom” is, in reality, Mayan “practical jokes.”

I suspect the Maya will deal with our survivalist compatriots the same way. Not only do they have the patience (and stomachs) to suffer throngs of crystal-clutchers and homeopathy addicts, they’ve managed to survive centuries of conquest, colonization and slavery at the hands of bossy-boots friars and sassy conquistadors.

Perhaps 2012 will be just another year for the Maya. After all, the Mayan prophecies seem to be terrifying them the least. I mean, when was the last time you heard one of them screaming about it?

10. Hugo De Naranja says:

MCM sez:

“Picky point: The Diario de Yucatan is not the “El Diario de Yucatan” — one can refer to it as the Diario, if writing/speaking in English, or el Diario, if writing/speaking in Spanish, but “the ‘El Diario’ ” is redundant. In case anyone cares.”

Thank God someone finally had the cojones to stare definite-article-promiscuity in its ugly, whorish face and call a spade a spade and plant a defiant fist on his/her hip and scream, “No way, Jose!”

I’ve been trying to wage the same thankless battle FOR YEARS and all I’ve managed to garner is a lot of sighing and eye rolling and the sort of petty well-organized whisper campaigns that are either meant to destroy a person’s reputation or send out a very definite signal that I’m some sort of obsessive-compulsive pest with nothing better to do with my time than impose my allegedly “crackpot” or “harebrained” or “laughably uninformed” notions of correct style and usage on people whom I consider beneath contempt.

Au contraire!

I love and respect the brotherhood of humanity and the Family of Man.

Which is why I fire-off A LOT of very satisfying and tart emails whenever I read some very repulsive idiot write something like, “Oh, I went to Spain last year and had a swell time at THE ALHAMBRA,” which is a totally reprehensible thing to say because, AS EVERY DECENTLY EDUCATED PERSON ON PLANET EARTH KNOWS, “Alhambra” already has the word “THE” in it because the “AL” in “ALHAMBRA” means “THE” in Arabic!

(Except when one of Arabic’s thirteen so-called “Sun Letters” assimilates the “L” in the “AL” and it becomes plain old “A,” in which case the “A” also means “THE,” although it probably doesn’t look like the AL-type “THE” to the untrained eye.)

Believe me, I cringe until my head pounds with MANY unbearable migraine headaches when I read some sub-human illiterate who destroys the beautiful and precious gift we call the ENGLISH LANGUAGE by writing such obscenities as, “The Al-Jazirah satellite channel aired an hilarious documentary about the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade.”

For this reason I feel like weeping with joy every time I hear a Yucateco say “la piscina,” which is so very much unlike the 99% (roughly) of the ridiculously embarrassing Mexicans who are GUILTY of definite-article-promiscuity and run around saying “la alberca” as if they had some sort of God-given right to turn the beautiful and precious gift known as Spanish into an international laughingstock because — HELLO? — the “AL” in “ALBERCA” ALREADY MEANS “LA” OR “THE”!!!

If they only knew how completely ridiculous they sounded when saying something so stupid, they’d keep their big mouths shut.

11. Alinde says:

@Hugo de Naranja

One of the things I dislike about the internet blogging is that so many people, usually using pseudonyms, feel at ease in throwing insults, probably because they are not held accountable for their tirades. (In case you, Hugo, don’t remember your insults–let me refer to your use of “sub-human illiterate”, or “so stupid”, or “very repulsive idiot.”)

People who have such rants should at least have the courage to use their real names. Bill Maher makes a great point in his video clip about “Stupid Americans.” He cites Bill O’Reilly’s use of the word “Pinhead” for people with whom he, O’Reilly, disagrees. Then Maher says, “Proves my point.” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4datkjjee88). Sure, Hugo, you might say that Maher proves you own point–but Maher is a comic, and he does say things under his own name.

You write, “I love and respect the brotherhood of humanity and the Family of Man.” Really Hugo? You don’t sound as if you do. Maybe that’s the cause of your migraines? Repressed hostility?

Let me say, Hugo–I myself am “well educated”, but I had no idea that the Arabic “al” meant “the.” SO, I’d like to add that I believe that any “well educated person” would surely know enough about the scientific method to accept that a prediction that fails IS enough to disprove a theory. (See your post of Aug. 2, 2010.) If a prediction is made precisely, it is disprovable precisely as well. Similarly, if a theory says, for instance, that the end of the world will come “some day”, or that there “will be” a “second coming” of a savior, it is not scientific, for “some day” and “will be” are always out there, and the statements cannot be disproved. People most certainly have the right to accept things as a matter of faith; but faith and scientific certainty are quite different. So far as I can determine, there is absolutely no scientific evidence in support of the predictions for 2012.

12. @ Alinde

Any “well educated person” with even a high school understanding of literary devices and a basic sense of humor would have gained a fairly natural understanding and appreciation for things like irony, satire, sarcasm and hyperbole by now.

Put down the Bill Maher. He certainly isn’t helping you in the humor department.

13. mcm says:

Oh dear. Oh dear. So sorry, if I offended.
    My apologies. As I said, a picky point.
    I do know that people say el Diario de Yucatan (bona fides: I do live in Yucatan, and I do subscribe to the Diario; I even read it, and discuss it with friends & neighbors, as “el Diario” — though I’ve never heard it referred to as “Yuca” — thanks for the info).
    I just thought some people might not know that the paper is called the “Diario de Yucatan”, not the “El Diario de Yucatan” — i.e., the “el” is not part of the name, and therefore isn’t capitalized in writing — except at the beginning of a sentence, as Sharon C so kindly pointed out).

14. Hugo de Naranja says:

@Alinde

Estimadisima, you wouldn’t know a joke if it marched right up to you in big red floppy shoes and smacked you in the kisser with an enormous cream pie.

For your continuing education:

15. Kinbote says:

This is why I love Russian and its complete lack of articles. The Болшой is the Болшой and that is that. Not to mention the self-satisfaction we English speakers are afforded when we hear a Russian say something like “I am going to grocery store, will you feed cat while I am gone?” and we get to laugh and laugh and revel in the look of shame and embarrassment on their faces. You’d think a grammar as complicated as Russian’s would at least allow for a few articles.

16. Christofer says:

Actually, I think Alinda has a good point or two.

And those who think they are funny, but have to say “I was joking” may not be as entertaining as they think.

For what it is worth, MCM has lived in the Yucatan a fair spell and does have a clue or two about local habits and customs.

Just thoughts that came to mind (redundant, I know, but how could I help it?!?!) while reading the above bloviations.

17. Empty Nester says:

@ Christopher

Interesting! You’re actually saying a lot more than I think you realize.

If you’ll take a gander back at what was said, you’ll see that Hugo’s missive about MCM had absolutely nothing to do with his/her understanding of local habits and customs, but rather the “picky point” MCM chose to address by correcting people’s minor grammar errors.

This is making me wonder why it was interpreted on your end as being about MCM’s understanding of the local culture.

If my apprehensions about the local Gringo community are correct (that it’s stocked with more than its share of alcoholics, drug abusers, sex offenders, scheisters, and otherwise lazy individuals who moved here to let their brain atrophy in a booze-and-sunshine-induced haze while taking full advantage of the cheap labor,) then one possible explanation for your misinterpretation of Hugo’s comment may be that a number of these apprehensions, if not all of them, are true.

God knows I would certainly feel guilty if I came here with no intention of ever learning Spanish (or Maya for that matter,) or the first thing about a history and a culture foreign to my own.

Is it possible that you’ve exposed a mass anxiety among the local expats that many have fought hard to willfully deny, either inwardly or outwardly, without even meaning to?

If “having a clue or two about local habits and customs” is such a topic of contention that it gets thrown around even in conversations that have nothing to do with local habits and customs, what does that say about the Gringo community here?

18. Alinde says:

@Empty Nester

Your comments are not worth my time in researching. But let me say again, that a lot of people post stuff that they probably would not have the guts to say if they were using their own name. SO WHAT if someone supported another blogger for “having a clue or two about the local habits and customs”?! . It’s becoming a meaningless conversation, and, quite frankly, one which I myself am about to quit. I have far better things to do with my time than defend against these vaguely presented slurs. I suspect that I am not alone here. One of these days, people from the USA will regain the abiltiy to have a decent conversation. Maybe.

Okay everybody – cutting off this debate now. If you have something else to say about magnetic pole reversal, please feel free to comment.

20. Sharon E says:

I’m intrigued by the whole “upcoming” doomsday thing, especially when tied to the Mayan culture. There are a lot calling BS to the 2012 end-of-the-world revelations, but I’m astounded by the accuracy of the Mayan documentation of natural phenomenons.

And by the way, the Mayans did not predict the end of the world. They predicted the end of a cycle, which I’m not sure exactly what. The doomsayers are just saying it’s the apocalypse. I’m not sure what our scientists are saying.

21. James R Mather says:

So, anyone have information regarding who is being chosen by the World governments to survive this doomsday? Where are those large ships being built? Anyone have a clue?