Yucatan Yenta (aka Beryl Gorbman) publishes article in Wall Street Journal

It’s about retiring in Merida.

Follow the link below, or just go to The Wall Street Journal and type Merida in the search box.

This entry was posted in Merida Expat Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Yucatan Yenta (aka Beryl Gorbman) publishes article in Wall Street Journal

1. debi says:

well done Beryl, keep up the good work!
    abrazos
    Debi

2. Teri Brucker says:

Beryl,

I’m not sure if you remember me … but I have Googled your name so many times. I opened up my WSJ this morning and read with interest “Moving to Mexico”. Then I saw your name!!! Last time you and I connected, you were moving to Merida.

Stay in touch. I’m at mtbrucker….

Teri Brucker

3. Helen S says:

Beryl–I just finished reading your great article in the Wall St. Journal. Big time! Congratulations!–Love, Helen

4. Mexico Vince says:

My Famous friend, well done! Soon you will be wearing diamond shoes, something I have come to believe is the true sign that you have made it.

5. Doug Jones says:

Your life in Mexico sounds wonderful.

I have a question: since you are a US citizen, is it true that you can never own property?

6. Beryl Gorbman says:

We have a lease agreement with a bank and pay an annual fee to them to lease us our house. They are the legal owners. You need an agreement like this if your house is within 50k of the water or 100k of an international border. (The last time I looked – you might want to check.) If we lived further inland, we could own the house outright.
    b

7. Ye Olde Gringoe says:

And so it begins…

A taste of the Big Time. A whiff of success. An addictive little rush of adrenaline from seeing one’s name in the national press.

Soon, oh so very soon, our dear Yucatan Yenta with her purity of spirit, her artless provincial charm, her innocent sincerity, her girlish enthusiasm for simple homespun diversions, will be replaced by an ambitious fame-crazed harridan who spends her days marching about in a blood-red silk peignoir and sequined mules, with a cocktail in one hand and an iPhone in the other, barking orders at her manicurist and screeching demands at her personal secretary, and snarling at anyone who can’t feed her ravenous and reckless hunger for money, more money, luxury, fame, and power.

Yucatan Yenta’s old friends and admirers will be exiled to the shadowy margins of her past.

Her new “best friends” will be heartless womanizers who narcotize her with filthy promises and garish jewelry pilfered from other foolish, imprudent women.

Her new playmates and pals will be the weak, fickle sort of craven approval-seekers who willingly serve themselves up as slaves to the famous and near-famous in order to numb their feelings of worthlessness.

And all that was good, decent, admirable, and true in our Yucatan Yenta will die an agonizing death as she claws and bites her way toward a hellish and doomed illusion of happiness.

May God help us all.

Alas, Gringoe of my past, the process has already begun. The bouquets are piling up outside our door, the newspapers are screaming for interviews, and Oprah’s people have left seven messages this morning.
    I have craved this kind of attention since childhood, and at last, at the age of 43, fame and power are mine.

9. Rainie says:

Great article in the WSJ! Well written and intriguing Your words seemed to disappear as your description of Merida came to life like a scene in a movie. Good job!

10. kwallek says:

The back roads and by-ways are the best thing about Yucatan. Well it is the best thing about Latin America in general, I try to go to the end of the pavement, the end of the gravel, the end of the dirt and if there is a 4×4 under my seat, I go to the end of the track then turn around and find another. Great fun and adventure can be found in the back country.
    Congrats on going national.

11. Ken Smith says:

Ms. Gorbman,

A short note to say that I very much liked your article for the Wall Street Journal. What caught my eye is your mention of taking photos, having prints made, and then giving the photos to the subjects. I live Chapala, Jalisco, and I’ve done the same thing, and I’ve also had the experience that these are often the first photos ever.

12. Anne McEnany says:

Dear Ms. Gorbman,

I was very pleased to read your article in the WSJ this weekend regarding retirement in Mexico. I would like to draw your attention to a two-year research effort underway by the International Community Foundation (www.icfdn.org). Entitled “U.S. Retirement in Mexico” research series, the Foundation surveyed over 840 individuals and carried out five focus groups in coastal regions of Mexico. A brief outline of the initiative can be found here: http://www.icfdn.org/initiatives/retireesurvey/index.php.

The survey results and substantive literature review are documented in five research reports. Four of them are already online: http://www.icfdn.org/publications/rra.php and cover the topics of: lifestyle preferences/demographics, health care, civic engagement/volunteerism/philanthropy, and real estate/housing. The final report, which is currently in peer review, is on the “greening of U.S. retirement in Mexico” or environmental preferences.

The International Community Foundation is a 501c3 public charity that has a mission to inspire philanthropy beyond borders. Almost 50% of our donors have homes abroad and ‘give back’ to their adopted communities. Our intention has been to document this trend, and at the same time, understand what retirees are looking for so that we can advise decision-makers at the municipal, state, and federal levels about how best to serve the needs of this growing community.

Because all of our survey, focus groups, and writing has taken place after the global economic downturn, we are convinced that our data is the most current available about how actual retirees are responding to the current situation – both in the U.S. and in Mexico. As a co-author on the research series, I’m very familiar with the information in all the reports and would be happy to speak with you at any time.

I hope you enjoy the reports and look forward to your comments.

Best regards,

Anne McEnany
    Senior Advisor, Conservation & Environment Program
    International Community Foundation
    619-206-9342 (cell)

Hi Anne,
      Thank you so much for sharing the information about your articles. I found the material on health care in Mexico particularly interesting but I think all of it is of interest to any American living in Mexico.
      BG