Who the Heck is Leonora Carrington?

Merida is being treated to the dubious art of Leonora Carrington, a 96-year-old British woman who lives in DF. There are 27 pieces, all of them either abhorrent or interesting, depending on your mood. The huge structures line the magnificent Paseo de Montejo.

Watch this space for more on the enigmatic Leonora Carrington.

How does a 96-year-old work with massive bronze castings?

This entry was posted in Merida Expat Life and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Who the Heck is Leonora Carrington?

1. richard pauli says:

What a wonderful, magical body of work… eager to read what you think of the show.

2. Joanna says:

Beryl, I am shocked you don’t know the story of this important 20th / 21st century writer / painter /sculptress / poet and very vocal social activist who is still alive (although very debilitated) in Mexico. I will write a post about her soon.

Ah, Joanna,
      I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive my cultural gaps, and my unforgivable ignorance about this distasteful artist. The reason I asked who she was, was that the Diario ran an article as her works of “art” were being delivered in white shrouds, because they couldn’t figure out who was staging the exhibit. Apparently it had not been solicited or even vetted by the Mucuy (city museum) or gone through an approval process in the Ayuntamiento. The Diario revealed the next day that the exhibit was sponsored by ASUR, the contractor that runs the support services at the airport. ????

• Joanna says:

Oh Beryl, I didn’t mean to offend you… I was really surprised because you know a lot about Mexican icons. I beg to differ with your opinion of Carrington’s art. While surrealism isn’t my preferred style, I think her pieces are quite remarkable. To each her own I guess. But do have a closer look… they might grow on you.

Oh Joanna,
          You couldn’t possibly offend me.
          I know nothing about Mexican icons, or even American ones, except for Elvis Presley, Ferlyn Husky, and Etta James. And the Beatles. Oh wait, that’s wrong. Well, I know about clint Eastwood.

• Val says:

Distasteful artist…you truly are ignorant! Leonora Carrington, Remidios Varo, and Frida Kahlo were all friends and extremely fearlessly talented artist. Their works deeply impacted the art world, and inspired many woman from all over the world to follow their artistic passions including myself. People who know nothing about art, show say nothting!

Apparently, the artist creating works like this doesn’t have to handle tons of bronze. She probably made small models of her designs which were re-created in larger form. Molds were made from the larger shapes and the actual statuary we see was produced in an industrial facility.