Flamingo Lakes Yucatan Resort Kaput

I got interested in the Flamingo Lakes development the day I went into their ornate sales office on the main floor of the Fiesta Americana and saw the hundreds of little red flags stuck into their huge site map indicating that those lots had been sold. The saleswoman said that if I acted immediately, I might still be able to get one of the premium lots.

Flamingo Lakes included a huge golf course, a nature park, and a waterfront facility for members to moor their yachts and enjoy the clubhouse. The housing development itself was in Dzemul, an odd inland location. The first few times I tried to enter Flamingo Lakes, I was rebuffed by security, but one day I struck it lucky and was allowed to drive in and look for the office.

I drove down a long, unadorned, bulldozed double roadway about a mile to the housing area. Despite what the little red flags had indicated, there were only two residences built (unoccupied), a makeshift office, which was closed, and a multiple dwelling type high rise, not quite finished. There were no signs of life.

A couple of months ago, as I drove by their ocean-front property, I noticed that it no longer said Flamingo Lakes.

Flamingo Lakes was organized by European investors, one of them with a history of sham developments in the Caribbean. I learned this on the web, but later, when I went back to verify, these references had all disappeared from the web. Until then, I had not realized, that you can have bad things about you removed from the web and that there are companies who will do that for you.

The Flamingo Lakes legit-loooking office existed for at least a year in the Fiesta Americana and I assume they must have had some people sign up and make payments. The place is now officially closed, broke, out of business. My sympathies to those who were caught in the scheme.

This entry was posted in Merida Expat Life and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Flamingo Lakes Yucatan Resort Kaput

1. Marc Olson says:

I’ve driven by there a few times on the way to and from Telchac Puerto (I prefer to drive through Baca and Dzemul rather than going along the coast), and always thought the Flamingo Lakes entrance seemed strangely desolate. I’ve never noticed anything substantial about it in the local papers. I guess now we know what was going on..

2. Kinbote says:

But their most recent newsletter, dated November of 2009, says everything is going so great! Also, the owner was a LORD from 1988 to 1993. Show some respect.

3. Kinbote says:

Oh, and we aren’t even getting to the director of the Design Center, Wolfgang Fitzner! Check out this Diario article about how he was busted for trafficking huge amounts of hashish ($50 million dollars worth, in fact,) in Vancouver in 1998!

Apparently Flamingo Lakes’ website used to say Fitzner’s background was in “maritime transportation!” HAHAHA!

But if you bought a condo at the right time you would have gotten a $5,000 credit to use in Fitzner’s “Design Center.” HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

4. peg says:

So there use to be proof that they were involved with scams but now it has disapeared from the internet… how convenient. Maybe you should come up with proof before you accuse people of being scammers, Im not saying these men are innocent or anything Im just saying to be fair you should show some evidense.

Why should I have to show evidence? the interesting thing is that I read about it and then the articles weren’t there any more. You will notice I mentioned no names, although they are public record. The fact is that the company sold lots and then abandoned the project, leaving a few bizarre, isolated buildings and a lot of buyers high and dry. Peg, maybe you can dig around a little and show us that we have it all wrong. That would be interesting, and well worth reading.

5. hopeich says:

Scamming real estate agents in Merida? I just can’t imagine such a thing. Scamming architects? I just can’t imagine that either!

6. Rob says:

Hey, isn´t that where Brazos Abiertos opened it´s state-of-the-art AID clinic, since it was an easy commute for the thousands of Maya villagers disowned by their families and sent to live with pigs?

• hopeich says:

Could this be true? There is a certain real estate company that had an office in Fiesta Americana that still lists as an agent an officer of a certain organization. Not only did people lose out on Flamigo Lakes but it sounds like those that bought houses featured on a house tour renovated by a certain architect working with a certain real-estate company may also be losing out. Do people have any idea how all the things that have happened in the last year or so are all related?

If it won’t get you in any legal trouble, I would like to hear more. Or send me some info privately and I will look into it myself. This place fascinates me. It must be fairly easy to pull off schemes like this if you have the nerve and possibly the connections.

Rob, for God’s sake – let it go!

7. D says:

I know one of the developers and he managed to get a lot of his friends and family to invest in this scheme and no one has heard anything. I myself bought a plot and I am not holding out any hope for it.

8. Robert says:

I also bought a plot and maybe my descendants will reap some benefits, I certainly don’t think I will !